The DR-Z400S looks like an off-road machine, and it is - with all the unmatched performance capabilities you'd expect from a Suzuki. But look a little more carefully and you'll see you get a bonus: it's 100-percent street legal.
The DR-Z400's exceptional off-road performance should come as no surprise. After all, it uses the same advanced suspension as the renowned DR-Z400E. It also has a lightweight, compact design that helps it offer crisp handling everywhere from tight, technical trails to wide-open fire roads.
Off-road or on the street, the DR-Z400S provides strong torque across the powerband and amazing throttle response. And it features remarkably smooth performance, complemented by conveniences such as electric starting and a compact, easy-to-read instrument cluster.
On the trail or cross town, you can't beat the 2006 Suzuki DR-Z400S.
- Suzuki's industry-leading DualSport® model that combines the best on and off-road features in a lightweight package
Basic Differences from DR-Z400E
- Compact digital instrument cluster with speedometer, odometer, twin-trip meters with addition/subtraction capability, clock, timer and stopwatch functions
- Smooth throttle response with a MikuniTM BSR36 CV-type carburetor fed by 6-liter airbox. The left side cover has quick-release fasteners for easy access to the air filter
- Reduced compression ratio (12.2:1 to 11.3:1) for operation with 87-octane fuel
- On-road legal lighting with bright 60/55 watt halogen headlight, compact tail/stoplight, lightweight, rubber-mounted turn signals and horn
- Thermostatically-controlled cooling fan mounted to the left radiator helps maintain consistent operating temperature in traffic
Engine Features Shared with DR-Z400E
- 398cc, DOHC, liquid-cooled, dry-sump engine produces strong low-rpm power
- Electric start with lightweight starter motor and a compact 6.5 amp maintenance-free battery
- Compact 4-valve cylinder head with 36mm intake valves, 29mm exhaust valves, narrow 28º included valve angle and shim-under-bucket valve adjustment system
- Automatic decompression system for quick/easy engine starts
- SCEM-plated cylinder (nickel-silicon-phosphorous) is lighter and more durable than an iron liner with excellent heat transfer properties
- Forged aluminum piston is 10% lighter than a cast piston and receives additional oil-cooling to the piston crown through a crankcase oil jet
- Compact 5-speed transmission utilizes a cable-operated clutch with separate outer cover for simplified clutch maintenance
- Additional weight savings with magnesium valve cover, clutch cover, and magneto cover
Chassis Features Shared with DR-Z400E
- Narrow profile with smooth transitions between the tank, seat and bodywork
- Chrome-moly steel frame is torsionally strong with minimal weight. The backbone tube, front down tube, and steering head gussets form the dry-sump engine oil tank
- A bolt-on aluminum subframe helps reduce weight and simplify maintenance
- Long travel, 49mm cartridge-style forks feature adjustable compression/rebound damping and adjustable spring preload for all types of on/off-road terrain
- A fully-adjustable rear shock absorber with high/low speed compression damping adjuster and aluminum swingarm for precise rear wheel control
- Sure stopping power is supplied by a 250mm front disc brake with dual-piston caliper, and a 220mm rear disc brake with a single-piston caliper
- Chrome-moly steel footpegs, aluminum rims/hubs, plus engine guard and rear disc guard